1.5 kg ripe vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 red capsicum, diced
2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled and diced, plus extra for serving
1 small red onion, finely diced
6 fresh coriander stems trimmed and washed
½ cup passata sauce
500 g watermelon flesh, seeds removed
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
½ pane di casa bread loaf, without crust
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch sea salt
- Place tomatoes, garlic, capsicum, cucumber, onion, coriander stems and passata into a blender and blend until pureed.
- Add the watermelon flesh, vinegar and ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1½ teaspoons sea salt and ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and chill for at least 4 hr, longer if you wish.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with cucumber curls, a few crispy croutons and fresh mint leaves. Serve remaining croutons separately.
- Tear bread into bite-size chunks. Toss into a bowl with sherry vinegar, olive oil and a little sea salt. Chargrill bread pieces for 2-3 min or until lightly charred.
- Transfer to a lined baking tray and bake at 180°C (160°C fan forced) for 10 min or until crispy.